We are a Community Interest Company Co-Operative. A Co-Op is a business or organisation that’s owned and controlled by its members, to meet their shared needs.All Co-Operatives across the world operate according to the same 7 organising principles:
- A co-op is owned and controlled by its members. It exists for the benefit of its members, who may be customers, workers, suppliers or the wider community.
- A co-op is democratic – this means every member has an equal say in how it’s run and how profits are used.
- Every member contributes financially in some way – from buying products, working for the co-op, investing in it or deciding how to spend its profits.
- A co-op is an independent business, owned and controlled by its members.
- It offers education and training to everyone involved, so they can develop the co-op and promote the benefits of co-operation.
- It co-operates, works with and supports other co-ops.
- A co-op supports the communities it works with.
We have a Board of Directors made up of our organisation’s founding members. We are in the ongoing process of putting together a Governance Committee (or Board); basically a group of folk who support our vision and have the experience and passion to help advise us and make decisions. In this format, the ‘Governance Committee’ are technically subordinate to the Board of Directors, who remain legally obliged to undertake final decision making. The committee will play a pivotal role in overseeing the strategic direction of Circular Revolution, and relevant decision making powers could be deferred where appropriate. If you are interested in being a part of the running of Circular Revolution please get in touch!
We are working towards being organised as a fully mutual co-operative with members as stakeholders who hold an equal voice. We believe that this is the best way to achieve a self-sustaining operational model which is responsive to our community’s needs and resilient to the challenges the organisation may face. Members have the right to vote on important decision making at scheduled meetings, and thereby help shape a service that works with and for them.
Circular Revolution is a multi-stake holder co-op which means our membership is open to individuals, organisations and those that work and volunteer with us. Individual membership is open to those who use our service, costs £20 a year and can be applied for via the ‘shop’. More information regarding membership can be found on the ‘shop’ page also; please do have a read! We would so love to have you on board 🙂
Circular Revolution welcomes those who, instead of paying the subscription fee, are able to offer their time, expertise or skills in exchange for a monthly subscription. We currently have four volunteers who received E-Cargo bike training to complete a short volunteer collection round every 2 months. We are looking to add another volunteer collection round in the near future, as the demand for our service increases. We are also keen to hear from people who are able to support Circular Revolution’s operations. Please click on our ‘volunteer’ page for more information and to express your interest.